The screening will take place at The Uptown Theater located at 2014 Genessee St in Utica NY. The Uptown has been a huge supporter of local roller derby, and we thank them profusely for hosting this event for us. They will have regular concessions open, as well as WINE AND BEER!!!!. The doors will open at 7pm, so come a bit early and have a couple drinks with us before the movie starts.
After the screening concludes, please join us next door at another local sponsor establishment, our favorite bar, The Green Onion Pub, for a meet and greet with the Quadfathers. Its $1 off your first drink with your movie screening ticket stub! We can answer all of your questions about men's roller derby and give you information on joining the team.
Admission to the movie will be $7. There are advance sale tickets available- both online and from any of the Quadfathers- buy yours today before it sells out!
An added bonus to buy your tickets in advance- anyone with an advance sale ticket purchased directly from the team gets automatic entry into one of a handful of raffle prize drawings set to take place before and after the screening.
Please RSVP to the facebook event page here:
From the official movie website, http://www.thisishowirollmovie.com :
This Is How I Roll is about being an outsider, an underdog, and an athlete. It is a story about having a passion for something most people just don’t understand and doing it anyway, in spite of the obstacles, the injuries, and even occasional ridicule. It also happens to be about men, with names like Dr. Spankenstein and Justice Feelgood Marshall, on roller skates.
This Is How I Roll follows the story of a group of men who, in some ways, just want to be considered one of the girls. Roller derby has become an increasingly popular sport since its DIY and punk rock infused rebirth in 2001. With over 25,000 participants in over 700 leagues in almost 30 countries, female skaters encompass 98% of the sport. This is the story of the other 2%.
Starting in 2008 when there were only a handful of men’s teams in the country, the filmmakers chart the journey of men’s derby (don’t call it merby!) across the northeast and eventually, the whole country. The fans don’t know if they want them there. Some members of women’s derby are sure they don’t. Alternately hilarious and thought provoking, the film follows the men as they fight to move from being seen as a joke to being taken seriously, without ever taking themselves too seriously.
Justice Feelgood Marshall
The New York Shock Exchange
Pioneer Valley Roller Derby’s Dirty Dozen
The Harm City Homicide
The Connecticut Death Quads