Friday, February 27, 2015

The Hit List: Skater Spotlight for 2/27/2015: Melvin Stankus #87

What is your derby name?
Melvin Stankus
by Juan Paden

What is the story behind your name?

My name originates from my cat. He got hit by a car and his time was cut short. He meant a lot to me.

What number do you wear?
My number is 7787 but recently changed it to just 87.

Why did you choose it?
I chose this number because it's my birth date. July 7 1987.

What is your role in the league?
I'm new to the league so my role in the league is a jammer for now.

What is your preferred position on the track?
I don't think that i have a preferred position on the track. I like to jam and block but feel comfortable doing both.

What’s your pre-derby athletic background?
Before derby i had a lot of athletic history. I started playing baseball when i was four then picked up bowling followed by football. After high school i played a little bit of baseball still then joined an adult softball league. I still continue to bowl though.

What would you say are your greatest strengths as a skater?
I'd have to say my greatest strengths as a skater are my ability to adapt quickly and my stamina. Ever since i was little i never got tired during games.

What is your proudest accomplishment in roller derby and why?
My proudest accomplishment so far would have to be when I got MVP against Mass. It was a very hard fought battle and I was shocked to have gotten MVP. It was also my first time receiving a MVP award as well.

Which one of your teammates do you look up to most, and why?
The person I look up to on my team would have to be Brandon Sherz. He's a great skater and challenges me to make myself want to be the best skater i can be.

What is your best memory of the 2014 MRDA season?
My best memory from the 2014 season was probably when laid The Rev from Montreal flat on is back. It felt awesome especially knowing he's on team Canada.

How did you get involved with roller derby?
I was first introduced to roller derby from a girl I used to date. Her sister and boyfriend played and always asked me to try it out. Eventually I did and instantly fell in love with the sport.

From Grambo:
by Hispanic Attack
Stankus and I have gone head to head jamming against each other when he skated for CDTA more times than I can remember. He's super competitive, and has that Energizer Bunny energy level that just never drops. I'm psyched he's transferred onto the Quadfathers this year. Not only do I get out of most jamming duties (yay!) but I know how he likes to jam so blocking for him is a lot of fun. And for the record, I DID manage to come from behind and catch him after this pic was snapped...haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment