Monday, February 9, 2015

The Hit List: Skater Spotlight for 2/6/2015: Flyin Phil #5

What is your derby name?

Flyin' Phil


What is the story behind your name?

Back in the early 1980's, I used to skate the streets of Boston and jump onto, over and/or off of nearly anything I could find. I'd often jump down sets of 10-12 steps and do a 180 in the air on the way down so I'd land skating backwards, all with a Camel cigarette hanging out of my mouth. Of course, that was a long time ago and my knees just aren't what they used to be then, and I haven't smoked in many years.


What number do you wear?
#5


Why did you choose it?
My favorite number (eight) was already taken by Bobby Brady when I joined Quadfathers in 2011. Five is the month I was born.


What is your role in the league?
Blocker.


What is your preferred position on the track?
Blocker.


What’s your pre-derby athletic background?
Roller-skated outside for many years, always on quads. I probably spent as much time downhill skiing, doing moguls and such. I found parallel skiing and quad skating to utilize very similar techniques.


What would you say are your greatest strengths as a skater?
I'm fairly hard to knock off my feet and I have very good endurance.


What is your proudest accomplishment in roller derby and why?
Coaching the Oz Roller Girls to a 10-2 won-loss record in their first season (2012) and being awarded Most Valuable Blocker at the Boomtown Renegade Roughnecks season-ending bout last year (2014).


Which one of your teammates do you look up to most, and why?
The Quadfathers has so many talented, veteran skaters that I really don't have a single teammate I look up to... I can find skills to be emulated from each of my veteran teammates.


What is your best memory of the 2014 MRDA season?

The final bout of the 2014 season that the Quadfathers skated against Twin City Terrors. Though we lost that bout, we were skating more as a cohesive team than at any other time in the 4 years I've skated with the Quadfathers.


What is your motivational quote?
Every jam is a new jam.


How did you get involved with roller derby?
I helped found, head-coached and head-reffed the ManchVegas Roller Girls in Manchester, NH in November, 2008. Been heavily involved in multiple forms of roller derby ever since.


Finally, is there anything I didn’t ask you about that you want to talk about?
Just looking forward to another exciting season! Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment